Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Presentaion in .pdf and Embedded Presentation in Blog

To create a PDF version of my Drake Equation presentation, I uploaded my latest presentation version to GDocs. Then I viewed the presentation in GDocs. Within the viewing mode, Google allows a viewer to download a PDF version of the presentation to their home computer, which I did to obtain a PDF version. So now I had a PDF version on my home computer. I then uploaded this PDF file to GDocs. I then was able to share the PDF version by invitation only (GDocs does not support global viewing/sharing of .pdf files, (WHY?)). If you want an invitation, just let me know in the comments at the end of this blog entry.

I also sent the PDF version to Fairmont's FTP site where it is readily available.


I have also created a link to allow the Drake Equation presentation to be viewed from Google Docs. This was done by simply publishing the presentation, then copying and pasting the provided link address. This link will launch a large screen version of the presentation. Note that you can expand the view to full screen by toggling the F11 key. The presentation is best viewed in full screen.

I have also embedded my Drake Equation presentation as a mini presentation module. This took some time, thinking, and experimenting. Suffice it to say that the route is not self-evident.



When I published the presentation, GDocs asks me if I wanted to publish my presentation online using a mini presentation module. GDocs gave me a HTML code in a box at the bottom of the page that is to be copied and pasted into Blogger's edit page. Sounds simple enough. But when I did this, a window would be open on the published blog, but the address could not be found.

After much experimenting and reflecting on how Blogger works and what exactly GDocs was saying, I suddenly realized that I must paste the HTML code into the Blogger edit page with the Editor in the "Edit Html" mode. (Apparently when I pasted the HTML code while I was in the "Compose" mode, the Editor changed the HTML code when the edit page was published, thus producing a wrong address.) I also suspect, but did not test, that I must publish the edit page in the "Edit Html" mode, at least initially.

Note also that there are several application available that allow you to generate a file from your Power Point presentation and embed it in your blog, such as SlideShare.net. I found these when I was searching the Internet to find hints on how to embed presentations in blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment