Thursday, March 5, 2009

Jupiter as a mini-Solar System Podcast

(Ahh, this was a tough assignment!)
I chose a topic that my Earth Science students found particularly interesting, the similarities of Jupiter's Galilean moons with the structure of the solar system. In this podcast, I point out the various parallels between the nature of the four moons of Jupiter and the arrangement of our solar system and the process that produced these arrangements.

My script was 1 1/3 typed pages, producing roughly 5 minutes of lecture. I used Audacity to record my lecture and added music to the front end and back end. Audacity was initially intimidating, but after playing with it for a couple of hours, I was able to do most of what I needed to do. If I would use this application more, it could be a great tool for mixing all kinds of audio together.

I exported my project as a .mp3 file after experimenting, straining, and downloading a converter from .wav to .mp3. I could not click on the Library in ITunes to drag my .wav file into as was kindly suggested in the discussion group.

I finally published my podcast via Podbean. Podbean has the same feel as Blogger and I would like to use it to publish more podcasts.

The ISTE NETS addressed by this activity include 2a) design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity; 3a) demonstrate fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations; 3c) communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, using a variety of digital-age media and formats; and 5a) participate in local and global learning communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment