Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Directly Hyperlinking to Fairmont FTP Server

Direct hyperlink of resume supplement from Fairmont ftp to my blog (no Gdocs used here).

http://www2.fairmontstate.edu/users/lbartlett3/supplementtoresume.doc (NOTE this hyperlink does NOT work, but I use it in the discussion below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Tonight I am having trouble getting this link to open the Word document, but I suspect there is trouble with the server (I could not use the log in procedure for Explorer 7.0 as suggested by the library and I also noticed that little blank window briefly pop up and then close when I logged onto Blackboard; I think it means Fairmont is having trouble with the system when that little window pops up???). I will try connecting tomorrow.

Tomorrow has arrived (2/5/2009). This is a continuation of yesterday's work. I continued this discussion on the same post so as to maintain a stream of understanding for hypertexting to FTP. I know that 'a different day on the same post' is not the norm, but I felt it would allow me to keep my thoughts together.

I discovered that the link I was trying to use yesterday failed because the file apparently was not successfully saved on the FTP server. I know that it was transferred because I renamed the file at the FTP site (maybe this was a mistake). However it was not on the server today. Maybe the filename was too long!(supplementtoresume.doc ) Is there a length limit for FTP files? Does anyone know the answer?

Today I opened an old CV and renamed it according to the recommendations in EDTech article on FTP. The file name is cvold.doc (a Word document). Following the procedure outlined in EDTech, I created a hyperlink from this blog to the file on the Fairmont FTP server. And it works! Try it.

http://www2.fairmontstate.edu/users/lbartlett3/cvold.doc

I also hyperlinked my introductory video stored on the Fairmont FTP to this blog and it also works! I had transferred this file to my FTP when I was uploading it to YouTube, just early practice transferring to FTP.

http://www2.fairmontstate.edu/users/lbartlett3/PhotoStory1wmv.wmv

Just as an experiment, I also created a hyperlink to my old CV by way of ftp:// instead of http:// just to see if I could get it to work. Indeed this also works. You just have to login to the Fairmont FTP server either using your UCA and password or your can login anonymously. Go ahead and try it. Can anyone tell me if there is ever an advantage to using the ftp:// hyperlink?

ftp://studentsftp.fairmontstate.edu/users/lbartlett3/cvold.doc

Past Experience with FTP
We were also asked to give details of our previous experience with FTP if any. Many, many years ago I did do some transferring of huge data files (when disk space was no as cheap as today) and we used FTP on mainframes. I remember that my comprehension of FTP was rudimentary, but it was easy to transfer data files.

No comments:

Post a Comment